Tuesday 16 March 2010

This green and pleasant land

And so I sit and ponder, as the evening sky darkens from brilliant orange to purple over the great city-scape that is London town, why oh why would I leave this glorious land? This land of manners and croquet, of chimney sweeps and William Shakespeare, of ale and winter in the Cotswolds and Judi Dench and lambs and spring flowers...

For the past few days, I have become much more aware of my surroundings. Suddenly, everything seems brighter, more beautiful, desirable. I find myself asking what has driven my desire for elsewhere, already nostalgic for country walks and evenings in the pub. Suddenly, the jostling of my fellow commuters becomes playful, endearing almost, whislt the snapping of the bus driver is quaint and somewhat charming in it’s Englishness. I am surrounded by the most interesting and lovable people, rose-tinted and romanticised by the prospect of my imminent departure.

Get a grip woman. It’s not for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment